Friday, September 23, 2005

A Follow-up Message from Neighbor

Greetings everyone,

I just got off the phone with Andy Post, a Philosophy student. Right before that, I had re-read my own email sent out last night and realized that I was unintentionally giving this situation a spin.

There are a few things I wanted to clarify:

a.) Being a minority myself, I know how exasperating it is to be racially discriminated against.

b.) My neighbors are Caucasian people but they have a lot of multicultural friends, including Asians. The fact that they have been extremely friendly to both me and my roommate since the beginning of the semester says a lot about them not being racist. I'm Indian and my roommate is Arab.

c.) I was in no way soliciting any side of the story. I was merely trying to point out that a lot has been said in the Media without facts being taken into consideration.

If I were in the Asian student's position, I would possibly have been equally angry. However it is our duty, as a resident of this country, to behave in a civilized manner and accept apologies when made.

My neighbor has sent out an email with a transcript of the evening's events.
While this might best be put into a statement to the police (who, co-incidentally, have failed to respond to all attempted communication), I'd be more than happy to forward a copy to you if requested.

Again, I apologize if it sounded like I was putting a spin on the story, but it was just my opinions and some facts that I felt were missing in the community. I am a minority myself, and would never side a racist.

Thank you,
Kunjal Raheja
Senior, Computer Engineering

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kunjal,

I think that you college kids have got to realize that:

1) WTF is someone underaged doing with beer?
2) Regardless of whether the substance was urine or beer...I know for a fact that if a cup of beer even NEARLY hits me while I was going on my own merry way walking down a sidewalk...EVEN, if the 'throw' was unintentional...I would EXPECT that individual who threw the cup to come down IN PERSON and apologize for being a drunk college a@#@hole...why do you drunk idiots have to vandalize other people's properties and throw beer out a balcony?
Use your engineering skills and teach your neighbor what a SINK and GARBAGE CAN are for, ok?
Notice I didn't even interject racism in this....BTW, I'm a 30 something professional who also went to college, and wish some of you guys could be "kind and considerate" drunks....even "self-destructive" drunks would be better than you drunks who destroy other people's property or unknowingly splash beer or other fluids on pedestrians....

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

V is for Vendetta

Stephen Riddel Williamson
Junior, Undergraduate LS&A Undeclared

williste@umich.edu

(972) 818-1750
(734) 565-3922

17332 Club Hill Drive
Dallas TX 75248

205 Lloyd House
West Quadrangle

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home